Various Artists - Reefer Blues: Vintage Songs About Marijuana Volume 2
The 2nd installment of the Reefer Blues Series contains 18 more incredible vintage Jazz and Blues recordings about Marijuana in a beautifully digitally remastered state. Featuring such renowned acts as Cab Calloway, Fats Waller, The Harlem Hamfats, Benny Goodman, Lucille Bogan, Mezz Mezzrow, and many other legendary Vipers, this compilation is sure to be greatly enjoyed by any fan of the Pre-War Blues genre.
- Killin' Jive (The Cats & The Fiddle) (2:51)
Guitar - Austin Powell & Jimmy Henderson, Ukelele - Ernie Price, Bass - Chuck Barksdale. Recorded June 1939
- Reefer Man (Baron Lee & The Blue Rhythm Band) (2:52)
Trumpet - Shelton Hemphill, Ed Anderson, & Wardell Jones, Trombone - Henry Hicks & George Washington, Reeds - Joe Garland, Gene Mikell, & Crawford Washington, Piano - Edgar Hayes, Guitar - Benny James, Bass - Hayes Alvis, Drums - O'Neill Spencer, Vocal - Chick Bullock. Recorded August 17th 1932.
- Are You Hep To The Jive (Cab Calloway & His Orchestra) (2:50)
Trumpet - Mario Bauza, Dizzy Gillespie, & Lamar Wright, Trombone - Quentin Jackson & Keg Johnson, Trombone & Vibes - Tyree Glenn, Reeds - Jerry Blake (Alias Jacinto Chabani), Hilton Jefferson, Andrew Brown, Chu Berry, & Walter Thomas, Piano - Bernie Paine, Guitar - Danny Barker, Bass - Milton Hinton, Drums - Cozy Cole, Vocal - Cab Calloway. Recorded August 28th 1940.
- Viper's Drag (Instrumental) (Fats Waller) (2:57)
Piano - Fats Waller. Recorded 1935.
- Weed Smokers Dream (The Harlem Hamfats) (3:20)
Guitar & Vocals - Joe McCoy (AKA Hamfoot Ham), Trumpet - Herbert "Kid" Morand, Clarinet - Odell Rand, Piano - Horace Malcolm, Guitar/Mandolin - Charlie McCoy, Bass - John Lindsey, Drums - Pearlis Williams Or Fred Flynn. Recorded In Chicago October 2nd 1936.
- Selling That Stuff (McKinney's Cotton Pickers) (2:47)
Trumpet - Langston Curl & John Nesbitt, Trombone - Claude Jones, Reeds - Don Redmond, Prince Robinson, & George Thomas, Banjo - Dave Wilborn, Tuba - Bob Escudero, Piano - Todd Rhodes, Drums - Cuba Austin, Vocals - George Thomas & Cuba Austin. Recorded April 19th 1929.
- All Muggled Up (Blue Steele & His Orchestra) (2:48)
Trombone - Blue Steele, Tenor Sax - Ernie Wimburn, Vocals, Clarinet, & Alto Sax - Frank Meyers, Piano - George Marks, Banjo, Guitar, & Drums - Red Roundtree. Recorded May 1930.
- If You're A Viper (The Reefer Song) (Bob Howard & His Boys) (2:24)
Vocals - Bob Howard, Piano - Frank Froeba, Guitar - Teddy Bunn, Bass - Haig Stephens, Drums - O'Neil Spencer. Recorded February 7th 1938.
- Texas Tea Party (Benny Goodman & His Orchestra) (3:22)
Trombone & Vocals - Jack Teagarden, Trumpets - Manny Klein & Charlie Teagarden, Clarinet - Benny Goodman, Tenor Sax - Arthur Karle, Piano - Frank Froeba, Guitar - Dick McDonough, Bass - Artie Bernstein, Drums - Gene Krupa. Recorded October 27th 1933.
- Lotus Blossom (Julia Lee & Her Boy Friends) (3:21)
Clarinet & Tenor Sax - Dave Cavanaugh, Guitar - Jack Marshall, Bass - Charles Drayton, Drums - Sam "Baby" Lovett, Piano & Vocals - Julia Lee. Recorded Novemeber 1947.
- The Stuff Is Here And It's Mellow (Cleo Brown) (2:45)
Guitar - Perry Botkin, Bass - Artie Bernstein, Drums - Gene Krupa, Piano & Vocals - Cleo Brown. Recorded March 12th 1935.
- Feelin' High And Happy (Gene Krupa & His Orchestra) (2:44)
Vocals - Helen Ward, Trumpet - Tom Di Carlo, Tom Gonsoulin, & Dave Schultze, Trombone - Charles McCarnish & Bruce Squires, Reeds - Murray Williams, George Siravo, Vido Musso, & Carl Biesacker, Piano - Milton Raskin, Guitar - Ray Biondi, Bass - Horace Rollins, Drums - Gene Krupa. Recorded April 1938.
- Viper's Dream (Instrumental) (Django Reinhardt & The Quintette Of The Hot Club Of France) (3:14)
Violin - Stephane Grappelli, Guitar - Django Reinhardt, Joseph Reinhardt, & Eugene Vees, Bass - Louis Vola. Recorded 1937.
- Sendin' The Vipers (Instrumental) (Mezz Mezzrow & His Orchestra) (2:56)
Trumpet - Max Kaminsky, Reunald Jones, & Chelsea Quealey, Trombone - Floyd O'Brian, Reeds - Mezz Mezzro, Benny Carter, & Bud Freeman, Piano - Willie "The Lion" Smith, Bass - John Kirby, Drums - Chick Webb. Recorded 1934.
- Pot Hound Blues (Lucille Bogan) (3:03)
Vocals - Lucille Bogan, Guitar - Tampa Red, Piano - Cow Cow Davenport. Recorded October 1928.
- Smoking Reefers (Larry Adler) (3:07)
Piano & Vocals - Larry Adler. Recorded April 1936.
- My Blue Heaven (Jimmie Lunceford & His Orchestra) (3:15)
Trumpet - Eddie Tompkins, Paul Webster, & Sy Oliver, Trombone - Elmer Crumbley & Russell Bowles, Trombone & Guitar - Eddie Durham, Reeds - Willie Smith, Laforet Dent, Dan Grissom, Joe Thomas, & Earl Carruthers, Piano - Ed Wilcox, Guitar - Al Norris, Bass - Moses Allen, Drums - Jimmy Crawford. Recorded December 1935.
- The G Man Got The T Man (Cee Pee Johnson And Band) (3:09)
Vocals - Cee Pee Johnson, Tumpet - J. Bruckner, Alto Sax - E. Hale, Tenor Sax - W. Woodman, Jr., Piano - E. Brooks, Bass - D. Russell, Drums - R. Ross. Recorded November 2nd 1945.